Friday, November 4, 2011

Happy, Happy Friday!

Today I received some exciting news!

For those of you who don't know, I moved to San Francisco in August of 2010, just days after the San Francisco Marathon. One of the first things I did as a new resident was sign up for the 2011 race when registration opened.

As I began training for SFM, I was introduced to another local running blogger, Aron. Aron was an Ambassador for SFM, and she invited me to join her for a run with the San Francisco Marathon training group during their first week of training.

The meeting that started it all...

Aron introduced me to a ton of other awesome and rad Bay Area running bloggers by generously planning group runs.

Iron Horse Trail run day!
Back row: Alisyn, Naomi, Page, Kristen, Caitlin, Kerry, Layla, Beth, Courtney
Front row: Tara, Audrey, Jana, Katie, Megan, Aron

Training for the San Francisco Marathon forced me to get out and explore my new city by foot. Doing so, I became very close with a few other local runners who were also training for the race. I am lucky to call these runners some of my closest friends now.

Katie & Aron

Megan, Katie, Kristin, & Aron

Punky & Layla

RoadBunner, Page, Susan, Aron, Kristin, Jessica, & Tara

And then of course, I overtrained my tush off for SFM, the ultra-hilly marathon that currently holds my PR.

I feel like the San Francisco Marathon allowed me to grow as a runner, develop as a person, expand my perceptions of The City, and reach out and make new friends. I want to give back to the San Francisco Marathon in exchange for all it has given me...

And this coming year, I will get to do exactly that. I was chosen, alongside Aron, Courtney, Susan, and 28 other fabulous runners from around the country, to be an Ambassador for next year's race.


I'm so excited for this opportunity, and I can only hope to help this race change someone's life in the way it has changed mine.

19 comments:

  1. Congrats to you and all the others! You are such a fab spokesperson for running in SF! you got me to drag my sorry butt over the bridges early on weekend mornings to do it :) Love ya, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats again!! It will be fun to be ambassadors together!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHH I love this post <3 I feel like I have known you forever, but we really did become friends around this race! Makes it mean even more to be a fellow Ambassador this year. Can't wait for many many more adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited I got to meet you earlier this year and that I get to be an Ambassador with you this year!! This is going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an awesome opportunity - congratulations!! Aren't you glad you "embraced" the hilly running??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wooo hooo! Welcome to the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Alyssa! You will make a fabulous Ambassador! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!! It's been so long since we've really caught up, but when they announced they were taking applications I was thinking you would be a perfect ambassador.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATS! I'm so excited for you that it's made me consider signing up for the half next summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on being an Ambassador. That is soooo awesome! I run Iron Horse often. Would love to join you all on a run, but if it's a ladies' run, I understand and will only cry in the corner for 3 minutes. Seriously though, happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! What an exciting endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having you as an ambassador is PERFECT. Especially since you somehow pulled a PR on the course.

    A new-ish S.F. resident exploring the city on foot -- really, what an awesome way to market the race. I look forward to reading about your work as a SFM rep. Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations!! You will be an awesome ambassador!

    ReplyDelete
  14. aw, you cheeseball. Congrats! Now go git on with your running diplomacy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on being an ambassador!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations!!! That is awesome! Now maybe I should run SFM???!?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhh! I remember meeting you that day too! What a great way to get to know San Fran and meet new people. I'm so excited that you will be an SFM Ambassador for 2012! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete