Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Schlub for Schwag

When I was little, I was a gymnast. At all of my meets, there were tables of schwag and gear for purchase. Usually they had really crappy overpriced shirts, sweatshirts, candy, soda, sometimes grips and chalk for the bars, leotards, etc. I would always check out the table to see what was there. My parents were very financially conservative, so I knew I could never con them into buying anything so unnecessary, but I still thought it was fun to look and dream.

When I decided late December to sign up for the 2010 Team Ortho race series, I saw that I would be getting a free pullover. Or did I sign up because I would be getting a free pullover? We'll never know to the truth to that. :) The pullover arrived in the mail today and seeing a package for me felt like my birthday! Although, I do have to admit it is a little strange to receive the pullover so soon, since I'm only 1/4th of the way done with the race series. Hmmmm.

Pretty awesome, huh? I took this with flash so you can see the reflective strips. The strips are on both the front and the back.

The exciting 2010 Team Ortho race series logo on the back.
Close up of the 2010 logo. (hehehe... finisher!)

I love free stuff!

In more important news, the Greenway has been nice and clear lately. There are still a few spots of rough ice and a few spots of really slick "black ice," but the vast majority of it has melted and I've been able to get in some quality quick runs. I've been leaving work later than usual lately, which means it's already somewhat dark by the time I hit the trails. Since I don't have a whole lot of proper night gear yet, I usually try to get back before complete sundown.

Yesterday I ran a quick 2-mile out and back, and saw 5 deer along the path. I had the distinct feeling there were eyes watching me, and I was glad to see it wasn't some creeper. From yesterday:

2.03mi splits: 8:02, 7:47, :13
Air Temp: 23F

Today's out and back:

2.53mi splits: 8:33, 8:31, 4:33
Air Temp: 22F

As I know I mentioned in an older post, the great thing about running during the sunset is ... running during the sunset! I brought my camera phone with me today for that distinct reason.

A sliver of the moon, pink clouds, and an airplane coming in for landing. A few of my favorite things. :)

The view from the Greenway, with another speck of a plane coming in for landing.

Gorgeous! I am lucky to live in such a beautiful place. I love that I get to enjoy these views of the setting sun, especially during the winter. It's little things like these that make winter more bearable.

And the most important news of all, I've been selected to wear test the Brooks Cascadia 6 trail running shoe! The shoes will be shipped to me on Friday, so I'm guessing they'll get here next week. My instructions for the wear test are to run as much as possible in them for about 10 days. Could I have any better of an "assignment"? This sounds more like a challenge, right?! I'm stoked! Keep your eyes peeled for some sneak-peek pics and early reviews of the 2011 shoe (and perhaps some reviews of new trails I want to explore) soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment