Sunday, February 7, 2010

8 Miles of Entertainment

When I took that picture of the owl on the pedestrian bridge yesterday, I thought I heard a bunch of noise, cow bells, clapping, cheering, and loudspeakers behind me. I couldn't see anything from where I was standing, though. Later last night, a friend asked me what was going on at Lake of the Isles because traffic was congested and it looked like there were a lot of lights. I had no idea.

Today, I decided to add the Lake of the Isles 3-mile trail to my 8-mile run to see if anything was still going on today. Sure enough, there was either a Birkebeiner or cross-country ski race happening on the lakes, as I ran into everything I heard yesterday. After returning from my run, I looked this event up and discovered that it was the City of Lakes Loppet, the largest urban ski marathon in the world. The 20-mile course weaved its way through Minneapolis, including Uptown and the lakes.

I'm sure you familiar with this canal by now.
Lots and lots of skiiers. I don't know what their route was, but they all had many supporters, including me. Of course I had to cheer my fellow winter athletes.Further down the lake was ice skating, hockey, ice sculptures, snow sculptures, and YES! Ice bowling! Notice the old school scoring bench and the personal pin monkeys. Loved it.
Ice sculptures/Luninaries at one of the turnarounds.Corny.
Another 3 miles of my 8-mile run was Lake Calhoun, the usually crowded activity lake. Today everything was happening on Lake of the Isles, leaving Lake Calhoun free for kiteboarders. I counted 13 of them total. So today was an interesting run with lots to look at, at least. I also decided to alter the pace alert on Mr. Anastos. I figured I won't be able to average a 9-minute-mile pace when it's telling me to slow down at 9 minutes. Instead, I changed it to alert me when I was going faster than 8:30, and I did a much better job of averaging 9-minute miles, and also staying a bit closer to my natural stride.

8.25mi splits: 8:59, 8:58, 8:47, 8:57, 9:23, 8:44, 8:50, 9:02, 2:23
Air Temp: 22F

I am working on a detailed post about something very important to me that many people have been asking about, so watch for that later this week. Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment